Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I wish I would have had a chance to post about Thanksgiving recipes before now, but I had a nasty cold over the weekend. I love this time of year, friends, family, and food. By far three of my favorite things. Since moving to South Dakota, I haven't much had the chance to indulge my love of feeding others. I delight in cooking large meals and sharing them with those I care for. These are some of my favorite recipes to fix for my friends and family. I hope you enjoy sharing them with yours this holiday season.

Acorn Squash stuffed with Wild Rice

4 Acorn Squash of equal size cut in half and the seeds removed
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1 tbsp Red Pepper Flake
1 tsp Sea Salt

Preheat your oven to 400. Place the squash on a jelly roll/cookie sheet skin side down. Coat the squash with the olive oil. Drizzle the maple syrup over them and sprinkle them with the red pepper flake and sea salt. Cover the pan with aluminum foil, making sure to seal it well. Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until squash is fork tender.



For the rice

4 cups Vegetable Broth
2 cups Wild Rice (I like Lundberg brand)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 cup White Raisins
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring vegetable broth, rice, and olive oil to a boil. Stir once, reduce to simmer, cover with a tight fitting lid. Simmer for 50 to 55 minutes. No peeking under the lid, you need the steam to remain sealed in the pot to cook the rice. Let set 10 minutes, fluff rice with a fork, and stir in cranberries, raisins, and salt and pepper.

Stuff each squash with the rice mixture and serve. You should have some rice leftover, I always save it for the next day to use as a side dish.


Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Medallions

3-4 Sweet Potatoes sliced into medallions
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tbsp ground Cumin
Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Coat sweet potato slices with olive oil and place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle the slices with cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until browned and slightly blistered.

No comments:

Post a Comment