Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Orecchiette Pasta with Cranberry and Kale

Considering my love of food, Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. I have fond memories of large family dinners held in my grandmother's tiny house. The meals were filled with simple flavors that when combined created sublime delicacies. As I've mentioned before, earthy flavored foods delight me. This makes Thanksgiving the perfect holiday for indulgence. Once I went vegan, I found it necessary to come up with a few extra dishes to share during these holiday meals. Orecchiette Pasta with Cranberry and Kale is one of my favorites to share this time of year.

Orecchiette Pasta with Cranberry and Kale

1 box Orecchiette Pasta prepared
2 tbsp Olive Oil
4 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 medium White Onion, sliced thin
1 can whole berry Cranberry Sauce or 1 3/4 cup homemade Cranberry Sauce
3/4 cup dry Red Wine (I use Cabernet Sauvignon)
1 bunch Kale, stems removed and sliced into thin strips
1 cup Pasta Water
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onions 5 to 7 minutes. Add the cranberry sauce and wine and allow to reduce by half. Add the kale and allow it to wilt. Add pasta water and reduce heat to low. The longer and slower you cook the kale the less bitter it will be. Allow it to cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over orecchiette with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment